[Oberon] XML; was Re^2: DAV WebDAV.1.1.0 released

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 02:58:11 CEST 2004

That's odd.  I seem to have missed both Edgar's
announcement about the next WebDAV release and
Chris' response.  Neither is in the archive either:

https://www.mail.inf.ethz.ch/archive/oberon/2004/date.html

Anyway, with regards to XML versus HTML versus
Oberon Text, a few points to consider.

1) The various versions of Oberon Text have
changed (incompatibly) over the past years.
I can open an HTML page under System 3 or
V4, but I can't (easily) open a V4 text under
Sys 3 and I think it's impossible to open
a Sys 3 text under V4.

2) HTML 2.0 seemed almost interchangeable
with Oberon Text files.  With the
introduction of frames this became less
true.  An HTML with a "frame" doesn't
"flow" like a document in my book.  I
think frames could be implemented as
"panels" but I've never seen anyone try
that.

3) XML in BlueBottle is used as a user
interface "mark up" langauge, similair
to LayLa under System 3.  In that respect
System 3 isn't using "Texts" either for
UI, but "panels", "gadgets" and a markup
language.  (I'll be VERY happy when the
BlueBottle XML gui is condified and
documented.)

4) There are other reasons for XML
besides documents and GUIs.  I missed the
context of Chris' post, but from the
title I'm assuming this had something to
do with XML and WebDAV.  You can't
implement the WebDAV protocol without
XML.  Having XML allows BlueBottle to
"connect" more with the outside world.