[Oberon] Re. Blackbox open source available

Douglas G. Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Fri Dec 31 19:05:55 CET 2004

Chris,
I'll respond once to your comments since I think each of us has their
own preference and saying eat your broccoli just doesn't make it if you
don't like broccoli.

So, I started with Oberon V4 in 1992 and loved the mouse clicks!
However, I never was very good at them since keeping the cursor on the
line and not have it jump to the line above while doing a delete could
be very annoying.  I used V4, and S3 for about 5 years until I
discovered BlackBox/Component Pascal.  And yes, I agree with you that
the shift from a platform independent look and feel to a platform
dependent one was (at first) a disappointment to me.  However, the
number of mouse clicks were greatly reduced with BB/CP and surprisingly
I didn't miss the interclicking.  That's one issue.

Overlapping windows, IMHO, are nicer than tiled ones.  I understand why
Dr. Wirth used tiling for efficiency.

Pulldown menus greatly reduce the memory load on people and yes you can
do this with V4 and I have many times created a development environment
in unix just so I can executed the unix calls conveniently without
having to type them.

There are too many reasons that are just personal preferences to list
them.

I think I can develop a working program faster in BlackBox/Component
Pascal than I could (in the past) develop one in V4.

-Doug