[Oberon] Re: Occasional data transfer between boxes ?

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Tue Aug 9 10:59:55 CEST 2005

 jan verhoeven wrote:
> Have you tried it with a small Linux in another partition?

No.
In the first instance, I was considering 'global trends' rather
than my specific situation.
But actually the Compaq-Contura-Aero uses some virtual
disk compression scheme, which I don't want to know about.
And therefore I don't want to repartition.
I could install a dos-based eg. mulinux.
But it's already got V2.3.6 dos-based n-o.
Which used to do the "final task" [allow me to get on line
from a portable box, when the telco at my desktop is dud].

Now V2.3.6 can't login to my ISP because they have allocated
me a Username which contains the "@" char which n-o has
used as a token separator - wrongly assuming that it won't
be in the username nor password.
I've torn my guts out patching n-o Ver.2001 for my desktop
box to get around this problem but I'm not going to spend
more time analysing/patching V2.3.6

> You could ftp=20
> the oberon files to it and then explode the packages into the right part =
> of=20
> the disk.

I don't understand.
It's the 'transport layer' that's missing.
I guess ftp could use ppp or any other 'lower layer'.
It's the 'lower layer' that I need to move data [files] between boxes
occasionally.

Thanks,

== Chris Glur.

PS. I'm having this disagreement on the soar-mailing-list [an AI
architecture] about all the clowns [including the PhDs and not
just the kiddies who left the box that their mommy bought last
week from Walmart on M$ defaults] who email in html format.

Eventually some one explained that the strange "=","20","3D"
chars, like you are also posting, derive from MIME.

I've just read a newsgroup reply from James Carlson *THE* man
from sun microsystems who wrote the 'ppp book'.

His text is perfectly formatted:
 no top posting, strange 'mime' chars, line len over flows ...

I don't accept that the [minority] rest of the world must change
to comply with Microsoft standards.