[Oberon] Re. Install your own OS

Jack Johnson knapjack at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 21:16:29 CEST 2005

On 10/10/05, Douglas G. Danforth <danforth at greenwoodfarm.com> wrote:
> It occurs to me that an enterprising fellow could make a little bit of
> money by establishing a working relationship with Dell to provide a
> bullet proof version of BlueBottle that customers could buy along with
> the Dell machine.

I suspect the market isn't large enough to make it worthwhile.  Most
people that can afford to buy a Dell would prefer to buy a commercial
OS.  I think more of the marginalized users/countries/etc. who could
use a $200 computer with a $20 OS, and of the overall benefit to them
(assuming there is one).

Speaking of which, I picked up a magazine called Make last night, that
had an article/challenge to make a $200 computer for the blind:

http://www.makezine.com/03/speech/ (full text not available online yet)

I had also bookmarked this a while back:

Oberon2Braille: Making the Oberon System accessible for the blind
http://www.dinf.ne.jp/doc/english/Us_Eu/conf/csun_99/session0212.html

and thought it was a very elegant solution to the problem.

My big question is, what are the licensing
challenges/repercussions/etc. if one were to try to market & (re)sell
Oberon?  Doesn't ETHZ still have the disclaimer about non-commercial
use only?

-Jack