[Oberon] Re. Install your own OS

jan verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Tue Oct 11 01:08:35 CEST 2005

Op Monday 10 October 2005 21:16 schreef Jack Johnson:

 > I suspect the market isn't large enough to make it worthwhile.  Most
 > people that can afford to buy a Dell would prefer to buy a commercial
 > OS.  I think more of the marginalized users/countries/etc. who could
 > use a $200 computer with a $20 OS, and of the overall benefit to them
 > (assuming there is one).

Whatever you or I think about the Redmond OS, when it's pre-installed it
runs (for a few months) and that's what counts to Dell. If they wanted some
free or cheap OS, they could have gone with FreeDOS or Menuet, or whatever
else there is out there.
I guess they got a lot of questions from customers who wanted a Dell to
install a flavour of Linux. And the people who ask for it, also know how to
handle computers (in most cases), so this group is interesting as well.
Perhaps it's a niche to convince Dell to pre-install Linux (or other stable
operating systems) and sell those with an unreasonable margin. If you run
SuSE, you have problems seeing the differences with the Redmond OS.

With Bluebottle, especially the Xmas edition, these differences are easier
to spot... :o)

 > had an article/challenge to make a $200 computer for the blind:

I first want to finish my "$50 VCR for the blind" project.

 > Oberon2Braille: Making the Oberon System accessible for the blind
 > http://www.dinf.ne.jp/doc/english/Us_Eu/conf/csun_99/session0212.html

Well, this makes sense since Oberon is a magnificent training aid for
programmers.

 > My big question is, what are the licensing
 > challenges/repercussions/etc. if one were to try to market & (re)sell
 > Oberon?  Doesn't ETHZ still have the disclaimer about non-commercial
 > use only?

According to the information in 'System.Text', chapter "Legal stuff",
Oberon for Linux x86 is 'GPL Free'. You can share it in source form or
binary form as long as the copyright notice is included and present. Plus
the 'Not fit for any purpose' lines.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten

Jan Verhoeven