[Oberon] Linux-ETH-Oberon VNCclient to drive Linux-CLI-apps.

Chris Glur easlab at absamail.co.za
Sun Dec 21 10:23:22 MET 2008

> > Every thing works beautifully, except that the
> > client is seeing its own screen instead of the server.

>  peasthop wrote:-
> I'm still not certain of your hardware configuration.
> Is everything on one machine or are Linux and
> NO on separate machines?

OK, it's my fault for using the wrong terminology:
I'm running linux, on top of which I'm running
Linux-ETH-Oberon; which I've mistakenly being
refereing to as 'native oberon', because it has the
look and feel of NO, - which DOSbased S3 does
too.  Of course, the whole idea of being able to
run, otherwise clunky linux-CLI-apps. with the
feel of NO, is what obsesses me.

> Are you starting a GUI before the VNC server is
> running?

Yes, I previously listed my actions in sequence.

> The tightvncserver can run without a
> GUI present.

Yes, but:
I never managed to 'connect' to tightvncserve.
I was able to connect to [what the menu/icon called
VNC but ps shows as] remoteFrameBuffer.

> Once tightvncserver is running, the
> VNC client can start.  You will then have just
> one GUI provided through VNC.

That's what I'd expect. Altho' for degugging purposes
it's more convenient being able to 'switch to' and see
the server than merely detect it's presence by 'ps' eg.

> > Since you've got a 'server connected to the inet'
> > whereas I get a different/dynamic IP from the ISP
> > ever time that I dial up ...
>
> Through DHCP my ISP assigns a dynamic address
> to Joule also.

OK, I wrongly/unreasonably assumed you had a
permanent online presence since you have a http
server.

> A system can have more than one address.
What do you mean by 'system' ?

My pc running linux can have multiple users.
I would have expected each one including root,
to have, potentially a different IP.

> For local use, /etc/hosts should give the system
> one of the private network addresses.

Wow !! I've always been looking only at
 /etc/host  <-- not hostS!!

That's why I hate this typing-in-crap-style, when a
NO-type menu would be much better.
BTW since I'm writing this in LEO [linuxEthOberon]
I can clux immeditely to the contents of /etc/hosts ,
which is:
192.168.1.2		vnc test

and /etc/host is
127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain localhost

 where apparently 127.0.0.1  is the loop-back IP.

One debugging approach which I used too, was to
try a VNCserver/client pair of the various linux flavours
which I've got  -- on the same box, together of course.
And I got 'client recursively displaying itself inside itself',
which I killed quickly.  Which seems related to my
problem with the LEO-client; ie. it shows the desktop
where it is running [with 1 second delay for transmitting
the display update], ie. 'displays itself'.

AFAIK, linux being multi-user, I should be able to
run a VNCserver under 1 user with his own IP and
also run a VNCclient under another user on the same
box.

At one stage linux / netstat showed:   # netstat
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:5900          127.0.0.1:1310          ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:1310          127.0.0.1:5900          ESTABLISHED
--------
Then after I killed the x0rfbserver [which is what the linux> menu> vnc
launched], it showed: # netstat ==
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        1      0 127.0.0.1:1310          127.0.0.1:5900          CLOSE_WAIT
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:5900          127.0.0.1:1310          FIN_WAIT2

Which sort of makes sense and confirms some workings.

AFAIK what I need is a linux vnc-server which:
* will run linux applications from key/mouse input received from
   the LEO-client and will pass the display image to the LEO-client;
* it's IP:port and password must be set-able or disclosed, so that
   the LEO-client can be setup to match.

I don't use a networked printer, but I guess that's a similar
problem ?

== Chris Glur.