[Oberon] Modula2 vs Oberon IMPORT

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sat Jan 8 07:51:24 CET 2011

That all depends on the particular Modula-2 implementation - it is not a
requirement of the language.

The feature is often referred to as 'smart linking'. I believe JPI TopSpeed
Modula-2 (and JPI TopSpeed C) has this feature and can link just the
referenced procedures.

Stony Brook M2 (which also implies later versions of Logitech M2) has the
capability of producing a library instead of an object file from a single
source file which leads to the same end-result.

I just checked XDS-Modula2. It has a smart linking option but I couldn't
find anything in the help file that explains what that means. If it does
eliminate unreferenced procedures then there is a good chance that
XDS-Oberon does the same.

Regards,
Chris Burrows

CFB Software
Astrobe v3.2: ARM Oberon-07 Development System
http://www.astrobe.com