[Oberon] Help in using an Oberon systems.

Bob Walkden bob at web-options.com
Wed Dec 19 20:30:04 CET 2012

> From: eas lab [mailto:lab.eas at gmail.com]
>
> Yes, that plus their example which used N-nested IfThenConstructs for
> the <dialog between mail/news client and server> gave me a bad
> impression.
>
> I made a utility that will colour nested constructs, which is the
> ultimate 'dimension' that ETHO can handle.
>
> Later I hope to discuss the concatenative paradigm, which is a great
> simplifer, but which Wirthian languages ignore, and would have fixed
> the absurd nested IfThen constructs by rather doing:.
> Stage1 | Stage2 | .... StageN
>
> My favourite example is:-
>
> FindAllFilesin DirD  NewerThanDays 37 |
>   whichContainString  aircraft |
>   whichContainString  "default judgmemt" |
>   whichContainString  Court
>
> Which allows you to re-find that critically important article, about
> the aircraft engineer's default judgment case, which you read shortly
> before you went on leave 32 days ago.
>
> The beauty of concatenative style, is that if it's correct to stageN,
> you don't need to go back, nor even know how previous stages worked.

it's one style among many, which have their pros and cons for different
uses. Horses for courses, as the saying goes.

There is an interesting book by Clements et al. called "Documenting Software
Architecture" which discusses a number of different styles and (surprise!)
how best to document them. It is well worth reading if you're interested in
such things.
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Documenting-Software-Architectures-Beyond-Engineeri
ng/dp/0321552687/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_7>