[Oberon] FPGA Oberon some news and a reply to F.P.

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 07:10:42 CET 2014

Coming from hardware: transistors -> registers -> 8bitUprocs ... I was
uncomfortable with NativeOberon's clunky handling of bytes via <systemChar>
and shiftLeft/Right stuff.

PASCAL / Modula / Oberon were never intended to directly access bytes in
absolute-addressed memory [yes Hex.Tool is nice]; but it would be good to
build a little domain-language for this-project's Oberon.

N-O has got a substantial <scheme based design/drawing program>, for example;
compared to which a minimal assembler..etc. would be trivial.

Decades ago, I needed an assembler for a Motorola CPU.
So instead of using *THEIR* syntax eg. ldi A, #N
  load byte immediate into A register = #N -> A;
I used: #N->A , directly as the syntax.

Why write "seven" when "7" is more direct?

The value of being able to 'extend' one OS/language with others, is well
demonstrated by eg:
 Linux [which has the big community to make drivers which ETHZ can't afford
 to build] supports
  ETHO, which can call *nix utilties, and
   for really difficult problems that need 6 frames open on 1 screen, and
   ability to colour related text/concepts, only ETHO can do,
the combination is powerful.

==Chris Glur.

On 3/3/14, Aubrey.McIntosh at alumni.utexas.net