[Oberon] FPGA Oberon some news and a reply to F.P.

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Sun Mar 2 23:11:35 CET 2014

The bitcoin miners used Spartan 6 units, and they are being abandoned now
that ASICs are available.  I wonder if these would be useful?

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 4:20 AM, greim <greim at schleibinger.com> wrote:

> Some news from my FPGA Oberon board:
>
> Yesterday i was also able to compile the Verilog code from the source to
> the Bit-File. That was a big progress for me.
>
> I really hope that several hundreds will follow up! Also guys who are
> more professional then i am.
> I thinks this Project Oberon, or i prefer FPGA Oberon is a real great
> and also NEW system!
> If we you are thinking about the success of Arduinio and Rasberry PI
> which are much less innovative, then i am not so pessimistic about the
> future of Oberon.
> Maybe the fathers of the project should communicate this to Xilinx or
> maybe Altera . I could imagine that a Oberondinio or a Garnetberry OB
> ;-)  would be a realistic thing.
>
> As first small project and proof of concept, i personally like to
> realize a kind of oscilloscope.
> This requires:
> -  in Verilog: the ADC converter handling and a ring buffer, with some
> trigger mechanism.
> - in Oberon: line graphic and a small user interface for showing the
> signals.
>

> > Still; compare the readabilty of the code of the rs232 driver written in
> > verilog with one written in vhdl
> >
> > verilog
> >
> http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/ProjectOberon/SourcesVerilog/RS232R.v
> >
> > VHDL
> >
> http://opencores.org/websvn,filedetails?repname=rs232_interface&path=%2Frs232_interface%2Ftrunk%2Fuart.vhd
> >
> > Greets and happy coding,
> > F.P.
> >

> mmm, if VHDL or Verilog in principle is better readable i can't evaluate
> in details. Both languages are hard to understand, at least for me, and
> VHDL for me is still more abstract then Verilog.
>
> One general thing is, that the Verilog code as well as the Oberon code
> of ProjectOberon is "poor of comments" as everybody can see at your RS
> 232 examples.
> I know that Nicklaus Wirth says: "the code must explain itself", and
> also the book is explaining many things very well, but at some corners,
> some comments would be sometimes very helpful...
>
> Markus

Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
211 E. 5th St.
Morris MN 56267