[Oberon] RISC emulator

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:27:22 CET 2014

Ok, then it's got the essential features.
Actually, I remember the original BYTE article [? 70s ?]
showed the 2:1 width-ratio User/System columns.

So perhaps the magical HCI was part of Oberon from the start.
All this talk about VMs is separate from the HCI.

VMs to run P-code interpreters are easy.
I made them for:
  HP desktop calculator/computer driving IEEE488 instruments
    [to be able to write in a nice PASCAL-like syntax];
  Fairchild F8 microProc,
  68** family,
  86X [16bit:cpm stage]

There were only a couple-of-dozen pseudo-instructions.
Initially I only had byte & byte-array types.
Then I think I had pointers.
The cpm version had 16-bit-words I think.

Finally I thought I'd look at Turbo Pascal, since perhaps it  wasn't
just another stupid fad. Then I discovered what I'd been missing!!!

The HCI is by far the most important aspect.

== Chris Glur.