[Oberon] RISC5

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 06:28:22 CEST 2014

On 18 April 2014 13:14,  <Aubrey.McIntosh at alumni.utexas.net> wrote (in part):
> IMPORT SYSTEM

[...]
> I think it is very open.  It is documented everywhere, and has been part of
> Wirth's languages for a long time, possibly as early as Modula-2.

Nemo wrote:-
]Yes -- it is in Modula-2.
]
]Further to this thread, look at the source for the compiler.  The
]initialisation part of the parser enters "SYSTEM", "VAL", "VAR", and
]all the other special procedures into the symbol table, each with its
]own "type" and pre-determined rules.  When the parser finds one of
]these special types, instructions are generated according to
]pre-determined rules.

Which compiler?
Under linux with this CRAP! gmail, I 'looked' at V4's compile which is
in AOS-format....It's not easy! I'd prefer to find & examine V5's compiler.
---
I'm guessing that eg. SYSTEM.Move(source, destination, byteCount)
would be compiled into a <PseudoCode block sequence of bytes>,
depending on the hardware-architecture.
Eg. perhaps resulting in the byte-sequence:
<Mbytes><byteCount><Nbytes><destinationAdr><Ibytes><sourceAdr>
Where that byteSequence, is the sequence of machineCodes which
would: Move(source, destination, byteCount)
---
So that porting to a different architecture, just means replacing the
pseudoCode byte sequence/S?

== Chris Glur.