[Oberon] more attention and a larger community?

Andreas Baumann abaumann at webware-experts.de
Tue May 6 20:55:06 CEST 2014

> You mean something like a single board system with an CPU, Video, FPGA
> and I/O? A small high performance
> computing system? An interessing idea.

Yes, I think a small, high performance board for embedded applications would be a good fit for oberon.
A user friendly bridge between oberon programs and „hardware implemented algorithms“ would be a nice feature.
This could be very helpful for students, engineers and other people which are interested  in hardware / software codesign experiments and the development of new system approaches.
Another aspect which could be implemented is the support of parallel / asynchron working IO processing units.
It would be nice to have the ethernet / TCP / IP / HTTP stack running on a parallel RISC5 CPU communicating with the main RISC5 CPU.
This idea is related to a current project at the ETH ==> „Suppercomputer in the Pocket“
http://www.nativesystems.inf.ethz.ch/Main/WebHomeResearchIces
This are not short term goals but a direction which make sense from my point of view.
A FPGA - oberon project is very useful if we have a  hardware software codesign approach in mind.
If this is not the case then it would be easier to use ARM SoCs.

best regards

Andreas

Am 06.05.2014 um 09:40 schrieb volkert at nivoba.de:

> Am 06.05.2014 08:38, schrieb Andreas Baumann:
>>
>>> Anyway, "FPGA Oberon" is light years away to support this kind of high
>>> scalable systems (concurrency, scalabilty, fault tolerance, .. ).
>> I agree.
>>
>> I see the embedded area as one main application area  !
>>
>> Server oriented is in this context related to the communication with the user and other clients.
>> One part of the „oberon starter kit" is responsible for high performance digital  ( analog support with additional ic ) io.
>> The other part use ethernet / TCP/IP stack.
>> The „oberon starter kit“  could have a minimal http server which is able to deliver html5 page, css, javascript.
> I agree, an minimal HTTP-Server is important.
>
>> With this you can bold a HTML5 frontend wich could be run on a pc, tablet or phone.
>> Supporting web socket you could implement realtime gui to show dynamic data ( read from digital / analog input).
>> I have this implemented that with the beaglebone but with the go language.
>> The FPGA part of the „oberon starter kit“ should be also used for „hardware implemented algorithms“.
> You mean something like a single board system with an CPU, Video, FPGA
> and I/O? A small high performance
> computing system? An interessing idea.
>
> BW,
> Volkert