[Oberon] more attention and a larger community?

volkert at nivoba.de volkert at nivoba.de
Wed May 7 22:59:27 CEST 2014

Am 06.05.2014 20:55, schrieb Andreas Baumann:

>> You mean something like a single board system with an CPU, Video, FPGA
>> and I/O? A small high performance
>> computing system? An interessing idea.
>
> Yes, I think a small, high performance board for embedded applications
> would be a good fit for oberon.
> A user friendly bridge between oberon programs and "hardware
> implemented algorithms" would be a nice feature.
> This could be very helpful for students, engineers and other people
> which are interested  in hardware / software codesign experiments and
> the development of new system approaches.
> This are not short term goals but a direction which make sense from my
> point of view.
> A FPGA - oberon project is very useful if we have a  hardware software
> codesign approach in mind.
> If this is not the case then it would be easier to use ARM SoCs.

I like this idea as a mid term goal, say reachable within 5 years. Lets
think about the major steps needed to go there?
Starting from here and now, say for  (a) "Project Oberon 2013" and or
(b) "ETH Oberon" as initial system, and
having every year a new release moving the current system step by step
into target solution, say first as
target  a ARM SoCs System with FPGA (for 2020) and after that moving the
system forward to "HW/SW Codesign
solution" (for 2025). But every release should be a "Oberon Starter Kit".

BW,
Volkert