[Oberon] Re (2): Re (2): Oberon.OpenDisplay

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 20:11:43 CEST 2014

> So can you tell me how to set the frame [of User + System track] narrower, ...

I referred to OpenDisplay in NO where DW is the full width of
the screen.

> ... ETHO  on top of Linux.

That's the Oberon subsystem in UnixAos?  If so please refer to
http://carnot.yi.org/ComputerSystems.html#OLPC .  Particularly
the last bullet before "Requirements ..."  It explains two
methods to open a smaller Oberon subsystem inside the Aos boundary
and then magnify the Oberon.  Legibility was improved for me.
If someone has an automated way of magnifying, that will help
more.

The whole process should be the same for the Oberon subsystem
in native A2 but I haven't tested.
--------------
I need the variable or constant in  the source code,
LNO has no OpenDisplay.Mod , nor LEO.
======
> Lately I've seen, for the first time 2 <buttons> on the extreme left of
> of the menu-frame, ...

"extreme right" isn't it?  NO has them also.  In the text
document viewer.

> Why didn't they put them on the left, next to the
> existing ones?

Search me.  I tend to prefer the plain old Text viewer.
------------
Correct: extreme RIGHT.
IMO it's a rare design error to put them there?
Interestingly, under LEO: adjusting the bottom-cornerS, which I'd never done
before, changes only the width of System track?
-----------
>The whole process should be the same for the Oberon subsystem
>in native A2 but I haven't tested.
--------------------
Perhaps the extra A2 facilities, like 'zoom', makes it very different?

In the days of NO, I always selected the simplest config: IIRC VGA 640x480.
And I never saw the <extreme right buttons>.
Also objects-bigger-than-screen-height, in the tutorials prevented
smooth scrolling;
which was disasterous for a beginner, who would think the system was broken.

I vaguely remember that selecting VGA: BiggerW x BiggerH gave smaller chars?

Obviously if you're working with:
  LEO = rides on linux and able to use all it's facilities & drivers;
  LNO = to read your 90's NO files;
  ALO = a backup, for when the natives steal your PC again,
you want the be able to transfer files between all systems effortlessly,
and have a consistent font size. So I'm making another mistake; I should
adjust the system-below-ETHO to keep the different ETHO versions
looking the same, for the same file/s.

Thanks,

== Chris Glur.