[Oberon] A Linker.Mod for an almost self-hosted RISC Oberon

Charles Perkins chuck at kuracali.com
Wed Jun 4 17:50:14 CEST 2014

> | Meanwhile Linker.Mod (in oberon-risc-ethz) allows OberonV5 (2013) for
> | RISC to compile its own boot track from source code to a binary file,
> | making the system almost self-hosted. An additional tool (such as 'dd'
> | on the host) is required to install the boot track.
> ---
> I'm particularly interested in booters.
> Why does even rPi tie itself to DOS: <Intrp N = reads sector X to mem:M
> and executes it> ?
> Is eg. Mac & Android locked to this standard too?
>
> Why do you call it "Linker.Mod"?

I considered calling it MakeABootTrackForRISCV5FromCompiledModuleFiles.Mod
but that exceeded the module name size limit. So instead, since it links modules, I
called it 'Linker.Mod'

> If it is a booter, it must 'match its native-hardware'.

Yes, this version of Linker.Mod only creates a boot track for the (real or emulated)
RISCV5 system. It would be wonderful if it were adapted or extended to create
native boot tracks for other hardware-- the Raspberry Pi for example, or
the ubiquitous Intel architecture or perhaps the Nexus 7 tablet.

Such a linker would require a matching compiler for the CPU architecture of each
platform of course, and the Files.Mod, FileDirs.Mod, Kernel.Mod, and Modules.Mod
(at least) would have to be adapted.

It is a non-trivial amount of work. Volunteers?

> So if it's for a PC, the REAL native-hardware is the X86's reset-prog-counter,
> to run the ROM-BIOS, which reads the first track/sector of the boot-hardware:
> fd0, USBstik, CD...etc.
>
> Recently I had unneccesary difficulty in connecting to inet via a 3Gdongle,
> because everybody uses the template: DoA, DoB...DoN, instead of the correct
> info: based on the physical reality.
> 1. only after it's confirmed that the PC has detected the USBdongle...
> 2. only after it's confirmed that the PC has switched the dongle out of CD-mode
> 3. only after it's confirmed that the USBmodem is being addressed...
>
> A booter for OberonV5 for RISC for an emulator is like,
> a photo, of the mirror-image of Shroediger's cat.
> Or is it the mirror-image of the photo?

Is it useful or is it not useful? Only by opening the box and interacting with it can
you find out.

Warning: interacting with this linker may break the box. Be sure to have plenty
of extra boxes handy.