[Oberon] A Linker.Mod for an almost self-hosted RISC Oberon

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Wed Jun 4 20:14:41 CEST 2014

The workstation versions of Oberon had a modified linker that produced boot
files.  From memory, I think this was called BootLinker.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Bob Walkden <bob at web-options.com> wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2014, at 16:49, "Charles Perkins" <chuck at kuracali.com> wrote:
>

> > I considered calling it
> MakeABootTrackForRISCV5FromCompiledModuleFiles.Mod
> > but that exceeded the module name size limit. So instead, since it links
> modules, I
> > called it 'Linker.Mod'
>
> You could call it Gepetto - he makes boots.
> >
> >> If it is a booter, it must 'match its native-hardware'.
> >
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> A booter for OberonV5 for RISC for an emulator is like,
> >> a photo, of the mirror-image of Shroediger's cat.
> >> Or is it the mirror-image of the photo?
> >
> > Is it useful or is it not useful? Only by opening the box and
> interacting with it can
> > you find out.
> >
> > Warning: interacting with this linker may break the box. Be sure to have
> plenty
> > of extra boxes handy.
> >>

> Link outside the box.

Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.