[Oberon] Large displays in Emulated RISC Oberon

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 12:01:04 CEST 2014

Yes, the display is absolutely central to ETHO; and it would be valuable if
you could expose some general principles re. displays, which you found/used.
Ie. long term knowledge vs. a transient demo.

I was impressed at the FrameBuffer-based version of LNO which I put on
a M$-note-book, and I was able to avoid the BLOAT of a full X1-system,
before SDs became so big & cheap.

Previously, I wrongly accused ETHZ of hiding the *Display*.Mod
Now that I've found some, I realise the code size/complexity, which must be
overwhelming for someone without knowledge of registers, adr-bus, scan rates
...etc.

What is the recommended setup sequence, when you move your valuable ETHO files
to different hardware, and what's the theory behind it.
You've got the  display's attributes; possibly console font-size ;
X11 font-size; ETHO main-Frame-size; ETHO font-size....

It's like herding cats!!
I did the excerise on rPi:ALO, and don't want to be punished again, for lack
of knowing the underlying theory of a good procedure/sequence.

== Chris Glur.