[Oberon] High-level language vs assembler

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 20:47:40 CEST 2014

OK, some V4 code was the nearest example:--
codebase := S.ADR(m.code[0]);
   dummy := pthreadMutexLock(S.ADR(critRegion));
   WHILE i <= N DO
      ptr := S.VAL(FreeBlockPtr, A[i]);
      WHILE ptr # NIL DO
         INC(avail, ptr^.size); ptr := S.VAL(FreeBlockPtr, ptr^.next)
      END;
      INC(i)
   END;
----------
It is of course MUCH simpler/better than asm, especially when hiding the
 *SYSTEM*.  It's been decades since I used an assembler, but they obviously
also have <symbolic identifiers>.

Having Oberon return the value of the byte pointed to by Adr(Pointer),
is not the same as generating the corresponding machine-code, suitable
for eg. a video-driver.

I used to wiring-pen-build 8-bit Uprocs, which I programmed via my P-code
interpreter. The PASCAL-like source code could do anything, but only at
VirtualMachine speed.

Then I threw-together an assembler [written in my same old PASCAL] which
directly translated the 68xx instructions from a
 rA+rB ->rB
type syntax.

I don't remember why. Perhaps it was to make the P-code interpreter, for the
68xx VM, programmed by the orginal Z80 system from Microsoft, which came on
a cassette and an A4-sized-pages pamphlet. M$ had copied NW's ver0 straight
out of the book. Rather than the recursive-descent compiler, I prefered my
read-and-translate the railway-diagrams version, which I orginally built
to drive instruments, via a HP-desktop-calculators, which had only a BASIC
type syntax. At the time, PASCAL was a fad, and a BYTE article-series
had an implementation in BASIC; from which I was able to see that eg.
'when the train went past' CONST, it had to get ready to create the
symbol-table-entry....

== Chris Glur.