[Oberon] OberonStation

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 04:18:49 CET 2015

> HTML5 is adequate for many documents and more accessible than TeX.
Yes, but I must accept what they publish  -- the current fad.
html & the browser-race is a tower of Babel curse.

> http://easthope.ca/Category2.html was created using only ET in NO.
> HTML.Compile can help,

Quite amazing!
First I tried LEO on http://easthope.ca/Category2.html
 because I remember you used to make *.html which could be fetched and
 rendered by N-O. Expectedly ETHO can't handle <current html standards>.
.
Konqueror displays it beautifully.

Was it just a coincidence that I've been looking into Category theory
because: *nix-piping <- functional-style <- very effective Modularity

Eg. lately, I absorb much of the text that I get from inet, via
TextToSpeech while lying down..
>From inet to ear to brain is a complex chain/*nix-pipe/<functionalPrgm>
which get's messed up by eg. the new-fad of contaminating ASCII-code
by making the <single quote char> 3-bytes, and calling it an "upgrade"!

So eg. TTS makes a mess of a simple phrase like: "It's not true";
saying "eye tea <garbage> not true" !!

With CategoryTheory/functionalProgramming/*nixPiping you just pop a
 little-one-liner into the *nixPipingChain to remove the <3 bytes>;
 without having to consider/remember/understand the rest of the code.
.
Which is great modularity/separation-of-concern.
BTW ETHO already does a kind of <functional/piping> by writing the
output to a new TextFrame, which is manually [instead of by program]
used for the next stage..

Using successive refinement, perhaps one could:
* test the idea of a chain of functions, which each doing I/O via.
   a [possibly new] TextFrame.
* test the idea of automating the removal of the TextFrames which have
  done their job of 'temporarily carrying data from stage N to N+1,
  via ETHO's existing <scripting facility> ET.Do ;
   eg. <Close  MarkedFrame>; which ET can do.
* Extend ETHO to [without human control at each stage] eg.
 look into all the files names *dog* |
 which contain the string "be happy" |
 but not the string "today" |
 and replace "be happy" by "be careful"
.
or other more suitable example of piping/data-transformation-chain.

== Chris Glur