[Oberon] Syntax-directed program editing

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun Jan 17 08:13:52 CET 2016

I have occasionally tried the sorts of systems that use shortcut keys to insert code templates / snippets for different constructs e.g. using Visual Studio's 'IntelliSense > Insert Snippet' feature you can type CTRL-KXF<Enter> and you will get

      for (int i = 0; i < length; i++)
      {

      }

You then edit the variables and fill in the blanks. However, I haven't got into the habit of using that. I find it awkward if my flow of typing does not follow my train of thought. Also, the slower I type the more time I spend thinking about what I am typing which is usually not such a bad thing :)

My best experience with smart typing was in the 1980s when I was developing Pascal software for a couple of years on an HP64000 Microprocessor Development System. They had a neat system where each function key was mapped to a label just above the key at the bottom of the screen. The labels changed according to the context. However, I can't remember exactly, but I think it was probably used when entering command-lines rather than program text. In the HP64000 documentation (which can be downloaded from bitsavers.org) it is described as follows:

"Directed syntax, softkey operation makes the Development Stations friendly. Syntax errors are virtually eliminated as the software-driven softkeys present selections of appropriate commands at each decision point. Commands are entered by a keystroke rather than by typing cryptic code words, letter by letter. New users of the 64000 Logic Development System become proficient quickly, and experienced users work more effectively."

Regards,
Chris

Chris Burrows
CFB Software