[Oberon] Class Methods Vs. Procedure variables in Records

Srinivas Nayak sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 05:17:06 CET 2017

Dear All,

In Oberon we have Procedure variables in Records.
In Oberon2 we added/appreciated Class Methods.
But Oberon7 we only retained Procedure variables in Records.

In the evolution of Wirthian languages, when Oberon allows
object oriented paradigm, why still we thought,
Procedure variables in Records is the way to go with Oberon7?
In other words, why we decided and retained Procedure variables in Records,
but didn't go for Class Methods? Any disadvantage of Class methods?
Why we think, Procedure variables in Records is more elegant than Class Methods?

Where can we find discussions/decisions on these two constructs by masters?

Kindly note that, in this query,
my focus is on Language design, rather than Language use.

With thanks and best regards,

Yours sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

Home: http://www.mathmeth.com/sn/