[Oberon] Class Methods Vs. Procedure variables in Records

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Tue Jan 3 12:00:41 CET 2017

The two descendants of Obereon should be viewed as two siblings from the
same parent rather than a grandparent-parent-child relationship.

Oberon was designed by Niklaus Wirth.

The evolution of Oberon that led to Oberon-2 was primarily the work of
Hanspeter Mossenbock via his work with Josef Templ and Robert Griesemer on
"Object Oberon". You can discover the motivation behind this by reading
their paper titled "Object Oberon. An Object-Oriented Extension of Oberon."
ETH Technical Report 109, 1989:

http://e-collection.library.ethz.ch/eserv/eth:3204/eth-3204-01.pdf

Oberon7, was designed by Niklaus Wirth, as an evolution of Oberon (not
Oberon-2) in the opposite direction. It was designed to further simplify the
language, not to extend it. His motivation is somewhat different. For an
explanation see "Oberon, the result of simplification" in "Computers and
Computing - A Personal Perspective", Niklaus Wirth December 2015:

https://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Miscellaneous/index.html

Regards,
Chris Burrows

CFB Software