[Oberon] Re (n): syntax in BB, CP, GPCP and V4 ...

Hans Klaver hklaver at dds.nl
Sun Jul 23 03:13:55 CEST 2017

Peter Easthope wrote:

> Is there a convention for indentation?  Two blanks for each step?
> Four blanks for each step?  A tab character for each?  Entirely
> personal preference?

The only relevant convention that I'm aware of is the text "Programming Conventions" of BlackBox Component Framework, which states under 10 White Space: "A new indentation level is realized by adding one further tabulator character".
This text mostly follows the source code formatting used by prof. Wirth.

In my experience indentation with blanks only works well with monospaced fonts (e.g. Courier).

The Oberon Wikibook and major Oberon textbooks preferably use a proportional font (e.g. Helvetica or Times) for Oberon source text.

Changing a tab character into a fixed number of blanks is done easily automatically, but changing a number of blanks in a text set in a proportional font into the right number of blanks or tab characters for any other font to get a nicely indented text must nearly always be done manually.

Therefore I would suggest to use one tab character for each indentation.

--
Hans Klaver