[Oberon] Clarifying type compatibility in Oberon-07

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sat Oct 7 06:47:54 CEST 2017

As discussed in comp.lang.oberon he didn't update section 4.1 of the following document either:

"Differences between Revised Oberon and Oberon".

"But now we handle array and record assignments just like other assignments, writing dst := src, and discard the COPY procedure. The destination array must not be shorter than the source array. This is in accordance with the assignment rule for strings and with the compatibility of record types and their extensions."

You can download a copy from:

https://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Oberon/Oberon07.pdf

This was explained in more detail in section 18. 'Assignment of Arrays' in the 2008 document 'An Oberon Compiler for the ARM Processor' which the Astrobe Oberon compiler originated from.

"In contrast to original Oberon, where a (the) standard procedure COPY is used, the “:=” symbol now also applies to arrays and strings."

"The arrays must have the same element type, but the source array may be shorter than the destination array. Hence, the length (count) is taken from the source. The length comparison is performed by the compiler. This is not possible in the case of open arrays, when the check must be performed at run-time. (Currently, only the source may be an open array)."

https://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Oberon/Oberon.ARM.Compiler.pdf

However, dynamic array variables were also implemented in that compiler. As they are not included in Oberon-07, the structural equivalence of arrays used in assignments is a less useful feature.

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.astrobe.com