[Oberon] Texts; was "Re (2): byte vs. octet."

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sat Apr 28 23:39:09 CEST 2018

In the last year or two someone wrote to the effect: one of the
reasons Oberon never caught widespread attention and use is the Text
rather than simple ASCII text.  [I've searched the archives and not
found the statement.  Might have been a personal message.  Anyone
remember?]

>From joerg.straube at iaeth.ch  Sun Sep 10 09:52:38 2017
> The Oberon type ?Texts.Text? is more than pure ASCII text; e.g. it
> contains font information not available in pure ASCII text.

My understanding is only to the extent that MediaWiki.Markup
and WikiMedia do a decent job of representing Oberon sources.

Text involves several modules and several records. Some of the records
are extensions.  The complexity is formidable.  Enough to deter too
many novices.

From:	Paul Reed <paulreed at paddedcell.com>
Date:	Fri, 27 Apr 2018 00:19:49 +0100
> Is there a specific concern related to Oberon or its documentation?
> I'd be interested to know where octets might have crept in ;-)

I've added this section to the book.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon#Oberon_Text

In a difficult subject, concrete examples can help.  The first
is a trivial Text containing the characters "Word".  Additions,
corrections and tips welcome.

In this description either byte or octet should convey the idea.
I don't know which is better.

Thanks,                   ... Lyall E.
--
This message was composed and transmitted by software designed to
avoid the need, overhead and vulnerability of antivirus software.

123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel: +1 360 639 0202                      Pender Is.: +1 250 629 3757
http://easthope.ca/Peter.html              Bcc: peter at easthope. ca