[Oberon] Texts; was "Re (2): byte vs. octet."

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Mon Apr 30 12:56:02 CEST 2018

Hi Alexander,

> I learned the WinOberon on my own by reading the document shown at
> startup.

And I.  But I think Bernhard's point is a good one, the Oberon text format
was always a barrier for someone who simply wanted to have a browse, e.g.
at the code, without setting up a system.

We tried to fix that in the FPGA-based revision in 2013: all the code for
the software and the hardware is in ASCII text format on Prof. Wirth's
home page at https://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/ and mirrored/zipped
at http://projectoberon.com.

Ironically, Bernhard's observation that it was easier to ask someone than
sit down with the documentation, is exactly the criticism in chapter 1 of
Project Oberon, of the systems Wirth was using while on sabbatical in
California.

Cheers,
Paul