[Oberon] Wanted: Oberon Syntax in TextMate, Sublime Text or Atom Grammar

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Thu Aug 2 22:44:40 CEST 2018

Hi Colby,

> https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=colbyrussell.vscode-o
> beron-support
>
> ...(Otherwise, I ordinarily just use Vim and enable its built-in
> support for Modula-2 when browsing Oberon source files.)

Right, so existing Modula-2 support in VS Code would probably have
sufficed for you and me both.  This relates to Bernhard's efforts with
GitHub which seemingly were exacerbated by the pre-existing Modula-2
class, so I suggested just calling it Modula-2/Oberon.  I see he's passed
that on too, thanks Bernhard!

> The extension is little more than the grammar that vladfolts distributes
> with oberonjs... plus a bunch of metadata that VSCode requires to
satisfy the
> extension packaging format...The extension itself doesn't specify any
colors, just the grammar I
> mentioned; whatever colors you're seeing come from your active VSCode
> theme.

Actually what I didn't like about the colours was that IF, THEN, and ELSE
are in one colour and END (as well as PROCEDURE and BEGIN) was in another
colour.

>> But I have no idea how to recover the syntax from the .vsix file.
>>

> As Jörg hinted, the VSCode package format is a zip file with a .vsix
> extension.  Alternatively, you can type "ext" in VSCode's command palette
> and choose the "Open Extensions Folder" item to browse the unzipped files
> already on your disk.

Right but what I really meant was "I have no idea what to do with the
.vsix file", and you've helped clarify things considerably; so above all,
thank you!

Cheers,
Paul