[Oberon] Oberon FPGA hardware point of view

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Tue Aug 7 21:13:28 CEST 2018

Hi Walter

Of course one could modify the compiler to accept your proposed syntax:
   TYPE Array = ARRAY 30 OF CHAR;
   VAR a: Array AT 0FF05H;
   BEGIN
      a[3] := "f";

You most probably will agree that the code above is not portable; it will
only run on a HW where this address exists and the underlying data is an
character array.

With existing Oberon-07, I can reach the same result with the following
statements:

   IMPORT SYSTEM;
   TYPE Array = ARRAY 30 OF CHAR; P = POINTER TO RECORD a: Array END;
   VAR p: P;
   BEGIN
      p := SYSTEM.VAL(P, 0FF05H);

As I import SYSTEM, it is immediately visible as being not portable.

br
Jörg