[Oberon] FPGA - Display.Mod 4-bit colour

Jörg Straube joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Wed Oct 17 02:51:53 CEST 2018

Tomas

Graphics needs memory: firstly the colored framebuffer and offline bitmaps take a lot of memory, secondly the whole Gadgets system needs a lot of code.

So, with only 1MB of RAM it’s questionable to port all graphics modules over to ProjectOberon. You can do it, you then have a colored OS but there is almost no space left for a reasonable application.

This was the reason why I restricted myself to 800x600 @ 16 colors, and I reduced the stack size a little to have a little more space for the apps.
Hint: stackSize is declared in Kernel.Mod, but Modules.Mod still uses an own hard coded constant (iso of importing Kernel.stackSize!)

I put the map manipulation in Display.Mod and recompiled the system. Be sure you recompile ALL modules and they compile correctly. If not, booting the new system will provide some headache😊

Fonts are stored B/W. So, you have to „colorize“ them. In the first version of Display, you probably stetch the pattern each time you draw a letter, obviously slowing down the whole text system.  In a second step, you might modify Fonts.Mod (and Display) to colorize/stretch the whole font once, and Display can use the pre-stretched font patterns right away...

br
Jörg