[Oberon] Oberon 2 compiler for RISC5

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun Nov 18 06:56:44 CET 2018

These RISC5 Oberon compiler RAM requirements pale into insignificance when
compared to an implementation of GNU Modula-2 compiler on Linux. My jaw just
dropped when I read an announcement on the Modula-2 Google groups about GNU
Modula-2 being available on a Beagle Board:

"I have finally gotten around to building a native GNU Modula-2 compiler
package for Debian Stretch on the BeagleBone.  It took about 9 hours to
build on a SanCloud BeagleBone Enhanced with 1 GB of RAM.  I wasn't able to
build successfully on a regular BeagleBone with only 512 MB of RAM."

Does anybody have any ideas why the GNU compiler is such a memory hog? If it
is the cost of portability I really think there has to be a better way (e.g.
the OP2 approach) of achieving that.

It hasn't got anything to do with the Modula-2 language itself. E.g. the
requirements for MacMETH, the ETHZ single-pass native code compiler for
Modula-2 that the original Oberon compiler was derived from, are:

"The MacMETH system requires at least a 512 kByte Macintosh and runs on all
Macintosh models up to the Quadra. For serious program development, 1 MB of
RAM and an external drive or preferably a hard disk is recommended." That's
more like it :)

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.astrobe.com/RISC5