[Oberon] FPGA - OberonV4 Dialogs

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Dec 15 06:44:19 CET 2018

Andreas:

  thank you for this compiler. We would be using it for RiskFive, but the students are still in the woods trying to understand FPGA timing difficulties.

>PS: If someone *really” wanted to make the FPGA version 100% compatible
>with Oberon-2, he/she can of course do so. Now that the compiler is in place,
>it is a fairly easy task. However, I think that this would be a step backwards..
>but may be justified if a large body of Oberon-2 code exists, which would
>take too much time and effort to adapt..

I would say yes. Just look at the Linz libraries with all the network software. It will be lots of unnecessary work to port all this SW to a slightly different language variant. My biggest reservation is testing. I am in the middle of testing the C/Python libs for our product and seems to never end. We still discover glitches. I believe it is a fairly common situation. The most important asset of Linz libs is that they were extensively used and the bulk of testing has been done. It is a gem which needs to be appreciated.

Thank you again for providing this compiler.

Wojtek