[Oberon] Version control & etc.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Thu Jan 3 19:51:54 CET 2019

>From andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com  Tue Jul 31 19:52:17 2018
> It?s amazing: We all have used source code control systems since
> years or decades, but when it comes to Oberon, we do time travel
> back to the 80s and are down to email..

Well a subversion repository is used for A2 at least.   =8~)

As systems have evolved, so has the endeavour to archive versions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_Control_System
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_control
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_configuration_management

Being almost ignorant of the subject I wonder: is Linux style version
management really the best way for Oberon?  With Oberon being so
compact, what is wrong with John Doe releasing a system _holus bolus_.
Over time there are more and more of these archives, each several MB
but << 1 GB.  So a Web server can show an evolution graph with each
node being a link to an archive.  Also some annotation with
recommendations such as "Good for an embedded system!", "Best personal
workstation capabilities", "Designed for data acquisition" and etc.

No doubt some of you have better ideas.

TTFN,                        ... P.
--
Message composed and transmitted by software designed to avoid the
complication, overhead and vulnerability of antivirus software.

123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel: +1 360 639 0202                                  +1
http://easthope.ca/Peter.html              Bcc: peter at easthope. ca