[Oberon] FPGA Oberon vs Ceres (was: Debugging FPGA oberon via serial line?)

Michael Schierl schierlm at gmx.de
Sun Jan 27 14:34:32 CET 2019

Am 27.01.2019 um 07:05 schrieb Andreas Pirklbauer:

> A facility for symbolic debugging existed on Ceres-Oberon. It has not been
> carried forward to FPGA Oberon (but it is only ~100-200 lines of source code).

There seems to be more things that got "lost" during the migration to
FPGA Oberon. For example, splines in Draw, the ability to change the
color of individual instances of Macros (ok not really needed if the
only colors are black and white) and now also some debugging features.

Did anybody who worked with the original Ceres machine compile a list of
"what is missing" in the new FPGA Oberon? Perhaps some parts could be
added back :-)

Or does anybody have disk/media/rom images of the original Ceres
machine, or did even anyone tried to create an emulator for it? I know
of the Emulith emulator for Lilith, but for Ceres I am not aware of any
efforts like that. And it would be sad if that architecture would vanish
into oblivion.

I really like the efforts of the Internet Archive of trying to make
JavaScript emulators available in the browser for old systems so that
everybody who has an internet enabled PC today (and hopefully also our
grandchildren) will be able to interact with Windows 3.1 or play the
Sega Master System version of Sonic The Hedgehog if they are interested
in it. But their effort is only for "mainstream" systems, and I guess
Ceres/Lilith cannot be called mainstream (not sure if in the US anybody
even knows about them).

Regards,

Michael