[Oberon] FPGA Oberon vs Ceres

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 21:04:49 CET 2019

   > No doubt you can help them with a bit of identification

It would not be the first time.. I remember some interaction with them in
the late 90s, when I lived nearby. They (initially) got the labels wrong on
a range of other historical computers as well, for example the Connection
Machine CM-1 - the first computer of the 80s/90s I ever wrote (a small
part of a) compiler for at TMC..

  > I have a Ceres 3, but it looks like this one
  >
  > https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102722173

You are right, this is the Ceres-3. It was a sleek.. and completely silent.

Also, this is “just” a Ceres, not a "SMAKY Ceres", as labelled in the picture.

SMAKY was actually the name of a series of computers developed at EPFL
Lausanne (I did work on the “real” SMAKY, while working at JD Nicoud’s LAMI
lab at EPFL, which was fun.. but they wouldn’t donate one to me when I left ;-(.
SMAKY influenced Ceres of course.. in particular the mouse interface if I
remember correctly. Walking down the memory lane..