[Oberon] Re (2): Buffer usage in Oberon.Mail.ReadText(...).

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Wed Feb 13 00:49:21 CET 2019

From:	JR <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Tue, 12 Feb 2019 23:00:41 +0100
> According to the POP3 protocol (RFC1939) all messages will end with the two characters CR + LF.
> So the code just ignores those two last characters.

OK, thanks.  I understand but we seem to be at crossed purposes.
Probably because the wording in my question was erroneous.
This was stated.
"Appears that the last two bytes of buffer are reserved."

Should have been this.
"Appears that the last byte of the array containing the buffer is reserved."

The distinction between the containing array, named buffer, and the
"character buffer" is important.  The character buffer has length rlen
inside buffer.   (Meaning of r in rlen is uncertain to me.  I read it
as readLen.) The code imposes rlen <= (BufLen-2). To my understanding
buffer[BufLen-1] exists but is never read from or written to.  The buffer
is not limited by 0X; no need to allow for that.

ReadText begins at line 379.
https://trac.inf.ethz.ch/trac/lecturers/a2/browser/trunk/source/Oberon.Mail.Mod

Thanks,                          ... Lyall E.
--
Message composed and transmitted by software designed to avoid the
complication and vulnerability of antivirus software.

123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel: +1 360 639 0202                                  +1
http://easthope.ca/Peter.html              Bcc: peter at easthope. ca