[Oberon] LolaCreator: a Lola-2 IDE based on Qt Creator

rochus.keller at bluewin.ch rochus.keller at bluewin.ch
Fri Mar 22 12:37:19 CET 2019

@ Paul Reed

> I know I'm in the minority in wanting simple, predictable tools
I can't judge if we're a minority, but I certainly share this goal. Prof. Wirth defined his direction by the quote "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler". I would like to add "Make it lean and efficient". That's why I e.g. prefer tools like QtcVerilog/Verilator/Yosys/ABC/Arachne to Vivado. Logic minimization is state of the art and not doing it would lead to very inefficient designs. From my point of view it would also be inefficient to not re-use Yosys/ABC and implement (parts of) these features in the Lola compiler instead. I assume that it is much more predictable what comes out of Yosys when the input is Lola-2 instead of Verilog, because Lola-2 was designed as HDL from the beginning, not as simulation language, and because Lola targets only on synchronous designs, not on arbitrary (and arbitrarily wrong) variants.

Best
R.