[Oberon] FPGA RISC byte access

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sun Dec 22 05:43:46 CET 2019

Joerg:

  thank you for the info. RISC.pdf is of course very interesting, but it does not replace the data sheet. It rather describes the internal working of the processor which is may be of interest to an EE student attending the processor architecture class. But I am designing a board. I want to connect wires to a memory chip and deliver signals in the order and time explained in the memory chip data sheet. (Here is the name of the chip: IS61NLP102418B-200B3L.)  For this I need to know the time sequence, polarity, and nominal duration of the signals emitted by the processor. I do not need to know WHY the processor emits these signals. I need to know WHAT and WHEN it is emitting rather than WHY. Ditto for the input signals: WHAT and WHEN. Neither the PO.Computer nor RISC.pdf can substitute for lack of the signal timing diagrams which are missing. (The example diagram from RISC.pdf page 20 is not the same as the signal timing.)

I attached the timing requirements for this chip (pages 19 1nd 20 from 61NLP_NVP102418B_51236B.pdf). Every chip vendor is providing such diagrams. The data sheet also shows the internal chip diagram on page 2, which is interesting but not very relevant. They could as well omit the internal block diagram. The sequence of pulses is everything what the designer needs to know.

So we need something like these diagrams. In principle it should be possible to extract this information from the RISC5 Verilog code. In most HDL designs the nominal signal sequencing is usually produced by state machines. This concept is explained in the NW textbook on digital circuit design. Another good reference is the Xilinx ISE help available in the ISE environment.

A quick look at the RISC5 code reveals that the state machines seem not be present in this code. I cannot locate the state machine design pattern or the state variable definition.  I am also puzzled not seeing the output signals being assigned their values inside the clocked process at the end.

So this design is quite interesting. Most of the RISC5 code is combinational, while the clocked portion consists of only twelve lines at the end. Most other HDL code which I have seen tends to be the opposite.

Thanks,
Wojtek