[Oberon] An Oberon-07 compiler for the ESP32

Guy T. turgu666 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 12:28:22 CET 2020

> @ Guy T.
>
> Nice project, thanks. How does it integrate with ESP-IDF and FreeRTOS? How about the GC and threads?
>
> Another approach could be an Oberon front end for GCC or LLVM (the latter also has an Xtensa back end, see https://github.com/espressif/llvm-project <https://github.com/espressif/llvm-project>.
>
> Best
> R.

It is too soon for me to tell if it will be compatible with the existing ESP-IDF framework and FreeRTOS. I’m dedicating all my free time to get the compiler working properly, including the garbage collector. I’m currently building a kind of compliancy test that runs on a chip to raise my level of confidence on the compiler. Everything I’ve done for now is to have Project Oberon Compiler and part of the Kernel module ported to the ESP32. My aim is to see how far a “bear metal” programming environment can be achieved on this chip.

One aspect for which I will have to work on after will be the WiFi integration, for which I will have to integrate part of the ESP-IDF framework. I expect to have to change some aspects of the underneath compiler architecture, but not that much. If somebody is interested to look at it… :-)

When I started this project, it was more of an experiment to better understand the Xtensa instruction set. I was amazed how fast I was able to come with a (sort of) working compiler after only three weeks of effort. But now, debugging and compliancy tests is a must to ensure everything is Ok and this takes a lot of time to built. Thanks to Niklaus Wirth and all people involved on the Project Oberon!

Guy