[Oberon] Unlimited Oberon System for any board

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Fri May 8 13:12:05 CEST 2020

    > Just out of curiosity. What added value would running it on hardware, as opposed to running it
    > on one of the emulators, give you?
    > Improved performance is the only thing I can think of.
    > Performance was a major problem with the 1970's equivalent of Project Oberon (i.e. the UCSD
    > p-System) but that was in the days of 8 MHz (if, like me, you were lucky) CPU's and floppy
    > disk-based filesystems.
    > Emulator performance is Hardly an issue today with multi-core multi GHz CPUs and SSD filesystems.

For many apps, emulator performance is surely adequate.

However, I was not only thinking about performance, but also about availability and
longevity of a *simple* system. For example, RISC-V is the first “simple enough”
system in decades worth considering. It *both” simple *and* has early momentum
(if that continues, it’ll be around a decade from now).

PS: I started out with less than 1Mhz.. so I guess you were luckier.