[Oberon] Re (5?): ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/oberon/System3/Macintosh

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:54:02 CEST 2020

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 at 19:58, <peter at easthope.ca> wrote:

> > Interestingly, first time, no, I got an error about accessing too many
> > Google Books or something.
>
> Are these long Google URL always transmitted through email
> uncorrupted?  Just one bad character is enough to cause the
> recipient confusion and annoyance.

Depends on browser and email client, I think. Some will automatically
reassemble a line-wrapped URL, some won't.

You an always use a URL shortener such as bit.ly...?

> If someone can tell the meaning of OMI or can edit the glossary, that
> will save more wild-goose chasing.
>
> Thanks.  It requires some dogged persistence and minimal intelligence.
> In fact, ignorance is a benefit.  Less reliance on implicit knowledge.

:-D

Don't put yourself down. It's very valuable work.

> I'm afraid that much of the knowledge is held by fellas middle-aged
> and older.  I'm hoping that some youngsters pick up the batton before
> the knowledge is lost.

I know what you mean. (I'm 52 myself.)

I long to get into it and try hacking on it myself but as a new dad
with a full-time job even under quarantine, there never seems to be
time.

I have mentioned Oberon in a few talks and articles I did in recent years, e.g.

https://www.theregister.com/2015/12/02/pi_versus_oberton/

It gets some interest -- people have never heard of it.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com