[Oberon] Re (2): Names and numbers of releases.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Tue Jul 14 21:29:30 CEST 2020

From:	Nemo Nusquam <cym224 at gmail.com>
Date:	Tue, 14 Jul 2020 11:10:07 -0400
> One interesting point is that they implemented their compilers shortly
> after the first Oberon reports came out.  Thus they use the def/mod
> combination in the original reports.  When Wirth removed the definition
> part, they did not follow suit.

According to vague memory, def files also existed in Modula-2 in
1985-86.

> No Windows.  SunOS on the Sun 3 and Linux on x86.

Revised.

> (On a side note, I use their Oberon and Modula-2 compilers on
> Solaris/Sparc.  Their Modula-2 compiler is PIM[234].)

I have a Sparcstation 2 which had Debian 3 and has NetBSD 8.
Installed Bochs with intention of putting Oberon but Bochs gave a
segmentation fault.  If anyone has a way to run Oberon on the old
Sparc, I'd be interested to try.

Thanks,             ... Lyall E.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines