[Oberon] Project Oberon, RISC-V Edition

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Mon Dec 7 05:38:47 CET 2020

There's an article on Digi-Key's site showing how to implement a version of
RISC-V on the Arty A7-100:

https://www.digikey.com/eewiki/display/LOGIC/Digilent+Arty+A7+with+Xilinx+Ar
tix-7+Implementing+SiFive+FE310+RISC-V

alternatively via TinyURL:

https://tinyurl.com/y2fckokr

FYI you can also use the Arty A7-100 board to run the official Project
Oberon Workstation using entirely off-the-shelf parts i.e. Digilent's VGA,
SDCard and PS/2 PMOD boards and cables. I succeeded in implementing this
recently using only the BRAM that is on the Artix-7 100T board running at a
clock speed 50% higher than normal (i.e. 37.5 MHz). As this means that the
total RAM available is only 512 KB (instead of the usual 1 MB) this does
present some challenges. However, it is possible to use the system to
compile itself, using all of the standard Project Oberon modules from Prof
Wirth's site, even with the limited memory that is available.

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
https://www.astrobe.com