[Oberon] all in one git tree

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 01:02:50 CET 2020

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 at 19:50, Till Oliver Knoll
<till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Am 26.12.20 um 12:21 schrieb Liam Proven:
>>
>> It manages source code. Nothing else.
>
> At least as far as github.com is concerned, this is not quite true anymore ;)

OK, fair!

> Github has grown to be a platform with many, MANY more features which go way beyond a nice "web GUI wrapper around git". Just to mention a few (over which I just "stumbled" recently myself):

> * Web hosting of "project web pages" (which coincidentally are managed/updated via a specific git branch containing all the HTML respectively markdown files): https://pages.github.com/

Yes -- a friend of mine uses this to host his personal blog, for free.

> * "Continuous Integration", with the possibility to define own "actions" ranging from simple "code checking" to building executables / containers / whatnot: https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/guides/about-continuous-integration

Yes, we use that in $DAYJOB.

The amusing thing is: a tonne of work enabled Travis to generate PDFs
and HTML and so on from Docbook, AsciiDoc and more. Which are then
discarded.

And the feedback we get is extensive, but the feedback most of us
_use_  is "it worked" or "it didn't work" as the model the CI tool
uses to build stuff is so far away from the files on my disk that
mostly I understand nothing useful from the failures, other than that
there was a failure.

But I am a tech writer using tools for programmers. :-(

> * Per project Wikis, issue trackers, project pages, ...: https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/github/building-a-strong-community/about-wikis
>
> And probably way more.
>
> And yes, git has become the de facto industry standard for source repositories - so no point in complaining about it ;)

Also fair!

> But this mandatory XKCD summarises it indeed perfectly:
>
>   https://xkcd.com/1597/
>

> ;)

Absolutely right.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com