[Oberon] Oberon V1, V2, S3 working under MS-DOS

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Tue Jan 19 22:53:44 CET 2021

From:	Pablo Cayuela <pablo.cayuela at gmail.com>
Date:	Tue, 19 Jan 2021 17:15:40 -0300
> PS: I've updated system variants in Oberon wikibook

Pablo, thanks for adding DOS Oberon.  I haven't thought about it since
years ago.

I have these concerns.

(1) The row for JVM now has only 4 columns.  The language column has
vanished. I guess that a rowspan number is deficient by 1.  If a row
is added inside a rowspan,  the rowspan number should be incremented.

(2) For DOS Oberon, information is duplicated across the columns
"Software", "Installation archive" and "Installation instructions".
The Software column need only identify the software briefly.  The
Installation archive column need only give a short link to the
archive. The Installation instructions column need only give a short
link to the instructions.

(3) Good to know that four versions of DOS Oberon are available but if
all are listed, DOS Oberon takes more than one quarter of the table.
Can we have one row for DOS Oberon connecting to
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dosoberon/ ? There a reader will see
immediately versions 1.0, 1.2, 1.4 and 2.0.  Will that suffice?

(4) Is there a correspondence between Oberon V1, V2, S3 and DOS Oberon
versions?  If so, it might be stated.

I'm concerned about making the table too bulky.  A value of the table
is having information centralized. That helps to give a reader an
overview.  Also to give ready access to essential information. If the
table becomes too bulky, these benefits are diminished.

My recommendation:
A good way to introduce a revision is to first copy the section to
your sandbox.  There it can be revised and discussed.  When the
revision receives a concensus of agreement, then it can be copied back
to the book.

Sorry if my approach seems harsh.  The intention is to keep the book
as "user friendly" and efficient as possible. Not to oppose
contributions and improvement.

Best Regards and Thanks,                     ... P. L.

--
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca