[Sans] Re: [Puppet] (Using|interested in) puppet?

Kurt Keller kkathag at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 12:20:14 CEST 2010

Hi there!

At Hilti, we're using puppet (v0.24). The environment where we use it
is still fairly small, only a couple of hosts which we used as a
testbed for a larger deployment. The real rollout will probably start
early 2011 when each system we migrate to RHEL6 will be puppetized
from day one.

Myself, I'd be interested in the following topics:

- puppet with clustered clients (especially if the clusters do have
shared filesystems on which some configs should be deployed)
- performance / sizing for medium sized environments (200+ clients)
- upgrade experience puppet v0.24 -> v0.25
- usage experience of dashboard
- user (well, admin...) acceptance of puppet for config management
- monitoring of puppet

Topics on which I could prepare some info if somebody's interested:

- handling of sensitive files (which contain passwords, private keys
etc.) when using a git repo for all the manifests
- building your own puppet packages (incl. dependencies) vs. depending
on publicly available packages
- an approach to monitor puppet clients with big brother

Cheers,

Kurt