[Sans] Re: [Puppet] (Using|interested in) puppet?

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at inf.ethz.ch
Mon Aug 23 10:39:21 CEST 2010

Hey Kurt,

Kurt Keller [Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:20:14PM +0200]:
> At Hilti, we're using puppet (v0.24). The environment where we use it
> is still fairly small, only a couple of hosts which we used as a
> testbed for a larger deployment. The real rollout will probably start
> early 2011 when each system we migrate to RHEL6 will be puppetized
> from day one.

iisginf is also having a look at rhel6, as well as ID (guessed),
maybe you can gain some experiences together on a /sans/-meeting even?

> Myself, I'd be interested in the following topics:
>
> - puppet with clustered clients (especially if the clusters do have
> shared filesystems on which some configs should be deployed)
> - performance / sizing for medium sized environments (200+ clients)
> - upgrade experience puppet v0.24 -> v0.25
> - usage experience of dashboard
> - user (well, admin...) acceptance of puppet for config management
> - monitoring of puppet

Sound like great topics to discuss about, some of them we can even
provide some hints to.

> Topics on which I could prepare some info if somebody's interested:
>
> - handling of sensitive files (which contain passwords, private keys
> etc.) when using a git repo for all the manifests
> - building your own puppet packages (incl. dependencies) vs. depending
> on publicly available packages
> - an approach to monitor puppet clients with big brother

Sounds very good, I would be happy if you prepare a short speech
about those topics.

Many greetings from Uster,

Nico

--
Systems Group Sysadmin        Tel: +41 (0) 44 632 76 09        D-INFK/ETH Zurich