[Sans] S and SGE goes 90-day trial license S

Mosebach Kai kai.mosebach at bsse.ethz.ch
Wed Sep 1 10:49:23 CEST 2010

FYI,

http://scalability.org/?p=2519

S and SGE goes 90-day trial license S
SGE, aka, Sun Grid Engine, is the latest bit of HPC collateral damage in the
Oracle digestion of Sun. This is not to say its going away, Dan Templeton
has a nice post on his site indicating that they have a roadmap and a
future.

Its just that it is no longer open source. You can¹t use it for more than 90
days w/o a paid license from Oracle.

Whoops.

This said, the GE community is stepping up to do something about this,
though my concern is that Oracle could lean on them a little.

This isn¹t a good thing for SGE users (we are/have been one) who use the
open source version.

I need to check a few other products we¹ve been using in a similar view. If
we need to convert to something else, we will. Torque isn¹t terrible (my bad
experiences with its predecessor from years ago not withstanding), and there
are a few others.

Best Kai