[Sans] Deploy and bootstrap Macs

Steven Armstrong steven.armstrong at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 29 11:04:35 CEST 2011

Hi

So I have a new task on my table: Deploy and bootstrap Macs

So far we have installed and configured munki [1] to deploy software. Is
working nice so far.

+ simple to install/use
+ server is just a webserver
- maintaining the software packages and catalog will probably be time
intensive (not specific to munki, general problem)

For imaging and unattended installations DeployStudio [2] seems the way
to go. But haven't used it yet.

A bunch of questions for ya all:

How are you guys managing your macs?

Anybody here know what ID are up to? There once where rumors that they
will have a fancy 'manage the mac tool' sometime real soon now ...

Anybody implemented something like roaming profiles for mobile users?

Quick and painless migration from machine to machine, e.g. when a laptop
died?

Anybody interested in sharing resources, e.g. maintain a munki repo
together? Packaging software is stupid and boring. We could save a lot
of time.

Other thoughts, ideas?

Please forward to your mac guy if he is not you or not on this list ;-)

[1] http://code.google.com/p/munki/
[2] http://www.deploystudio.com/

Cheers,
Steven
--
Steven Armstrong
Institute of Computational Science, ETH Zurich