[Sans] Deploy and bootstrap Macs

Frobenius Nico nico.frobenius at bsse.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 29 14:10:25 CEST 2011

Hi Steven,

I am managing my macs (~150 Laptops and ~50 fixed macs) until now with
deploystudio (setup of machines) with a maintained image that contains our
commonly used software. Additionally I install manually software since
packaging (as you mentioned) is a quite time consuming work and only worth
it when hitting a "crittical amass" of installations.

However - you mentioned rumors regarding ID's approach - I am surprised
that apparently the OSX Software Deployment initiative using AbsolutManage
which is about to go productive (some departments inlcuding ours use it
already in an early phase) didn't come to your attention. Irene, me and
some others I were involved in the initial testing phase of AbsolutManage
but I thought it would have been announced somehow)

Max Schlapfer and Kathi Zehnder already created 81 software packages with
a total of planned 143 as of today. They include mostly common used
software at the departments including more special requests made by the
early testers in the planing phase. We are right now testing those
packages in order to get them into the productive state.

Regarding your other quesstions answered quickly:

* we have tested roaming profiles but decided not to go on with them due
to slow login and bad experience with the NAS here in basel.
* we use AdmitMac to bind the machines to the Ad and some minimal managing
and also to make use of DFS. Not sure though if we continue with admitmac
since theyr support is quite poor and DFS is oficcially supported and
seems to work with Lion.
* If I have to, I migrate simply using superduper since we have (until now
- crossing my fingers there) a machine pool concept where all machines are
interchangeable and are simply swappable. Otherwise I just resetup the
machine (just a few clicks and 20mins of time) and have the user copy his
data back from our fileservers.

If you have any questions just go ahead and ask or contact directly the ID
guys.

Cheers,
Nico